Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Toot, Toot...

DuVall and I have learned that furnishing a house is expensive and well, expensive.
So when I stumbled upon a blog called KNOCKOFF WOOD, the little wheels in my head starting turning. (They are usually pretty quiet.)
I asked DuVall to help me learn how to make furniture and here is what we came up with...so far. (Oh ya, I've got BIG plans.)

A coffee table for our living room...

And a matching side table, also for the living room...

I bought all the supplies and, after a lesson in using a chop saw (VERY intimidating by the way), cut all the wood. DuVall helped me put it all together and we both stained and painted. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE being married to such a handyman! Seriously there is nothing he can't do. Well, he can't birth children. I guess I've got him there.
So, I may be tooting our own horn but I'm a little proud.
Total cost of all materials for the two tables...under $50
(It was helpful that DuVall already had the tools.)

Anyway, check out KNOCKOFF WOOD. Your life will never be the same.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Those are AWESOME! I am VERY impressed with your new skills! I have to admit it is so nice to married to men who can do just about anything-sure helps!

Scott and Stacia said...

totally awesome! Too bad we don't have tools to do all that work. You guys did a great job!

emuhle said...

LOVE it! they look awesome! as you know, you inspired me, so hopefully something will happen soon. thanks for the intro to knockoff wood. i think it might be my new favorite!

Us said...

Nice work!! Ames, I love it. I'm seriously impressed with your skills and I want to see everything you make. I absolutely want to do the same thing once we get into our new house. I've also checked out knockoff wood and I love it! I'm so inspired by all these women (like you) who decorate their house on a low budget and make it look awesome.

Kierstin said...

That's awesome! My BFF, Kirsten told me about this site a while ago. She is in the process of making the kids play kitchen. I am (tentatively) planning on making Max's big (double) bed this year so we can give his twin to Mia. Wish me luck! (With Reeder it won't be hard at all... I'll just have him show me the ropes and then let him do it!!)

Ana White said...

These tables are so beautiful! I love the wood tops with the white, makes the wood stand out! And $50 to get what you want? Can I please toot on my blog too?